A Stinkin' Big Pancake. | The Common Creative: A Stinkin' Big Pancake.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A Stinkin' Big Pancake.

 I had never been the biggest fan of breakfast. It actually used to be difficult for me to eat so early in the morning, so I rarely ate much at all. Until I got a full time job and I knew I wasn't going to be able to eat until lunch time. So I forced myself to put something down in the early hours every single day. Slowly, but surely, I found myself starting to enjoy it. And then I discovered coffee and everything changed. Suddenly, breakfast tasted so much better! Seriously, coffee with any breakfast makes me so happy. I don't think I'll ever tire of drinking it. 

Once I discovered this jentacular love (I've always wanted to use that word. Now seemed like the perfect moment), I now make breakfast at all times of the day. I also have found myself enjoying a wide range of breakfast related foods. Yesterday just so happened to feel like a Dutch Baby day. And, looking at the 10 lb. box of blueberries in our fridge, I realized I had no choice but to make a blueberry syrup to go with. It turned out to be magical. Heaven, really. In pancake form. 

Dutch Baby Pancake with Blueberry Syrup
adapted from Naturally Ella

2 eggs
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
zest from 1/2 a lemon
1 tablespoon butter

1 1/2 cups blueberries
1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Combine eggs, maple syrup, milk, flour, salt and lemon zest and blend or beat with a whisk. Try to remove any lumps of flour

3. On the stovetop, melt butter in a 10" cast iron pan (I did not use cast iron, but have a stainless steel pan that can be used under hot temperatures). Swirl the butter around to cover all areas inside the pan. Remove from heat and pour in batter. Bake in oven until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. 

4. Meanwhile, combine blueberries and maple syrup on the stovetop and simmer at a medium temperature until berries burst.

5. Remove dutch baby from oven and serve!

-Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...