Lemon Sorbet | The Common Creative: Lemon Sorbet

Monday, May 5, 2014

Lemon Sorbet

I have a memory of when I was first living on my own. I had no car, hadn't figured out the bus system yet, and it was a fairly long walk to the grocery store. My roommate was feeling incredibly ill and I, feeling sorry for her, wanted to help her out by picking up some soup for her. Which ended up being a predicament considering my no-transporation situation. So naturally, I called up Grandma. Grandmas seem to know everything about making people feel better and not only did Grandma drive all the way to our house with homemade soup, she stopped by the grocery store to pick up a nice big carton of lemon sorbet. 

This was my first encounter with this deliciously refreshing dessert. And oh, how that memory has lasted on my tongue to this day. I haven't been able to find that same brand of lemon sorbet (and, believe me, I've tried!) but I decided to experiment with making my own and it comes in a close second. Surprisingly, it's not all that difficult to make, either! You will find yourself in an incredibly lucky situation if you have an ice cream maker, but for those of you without one, do not fear. You'll have your lemon sorbet delightfully swirling on your tongue in no time! 
Lemon Sorbet*
Serves 4

1 1/4 cup water
1/2 - 3/4 cups sugar (I used 3/4, but it was quite sweet)
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (or 2 large lemons)

1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine water and sugar. Add the lemon zest and stir until sugar is dissolved. Let cool.

2. Add lemon juice to sugar mixture, stir and freeze according to your ice cream maker's directions. If you're not using an ice cream maker, pour your mixture into tall container and place in freezer. Stir every few hours for even freezing. Once it is almost totally frozen, blend the mixture using a high speed blender. Place the mixture back in its container in the freezer and let set for 4 hours. 

3. Let that frozen lemonade tasting goodness fill your mouth and savour the taste :)

Slightly adapted from Spoonful of Flavor 

*Not recommended for eating under cold conditions. Be advised that brain freeze may follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...