The Amateur Foodie: Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies | The Common Creative: The Amateur Foodie: Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Amateur Foodie: Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies

I'm not an incredible baker or cook by any means, but in the last few years I've started to REALLY enjoy trying out new recipes and learning new techniques. It helps that I work at a coffee shop that totally encourages creativity in that area. I get to learn from some pretty talented people daily. This series is designed to share some recipes Jenni and I have tried, maybe teach you something (?) and share some general food love!

A challenge I have in cooking and baking is making it all gluten and dairy free for myself. As the gluten thing is new, I'm still making gluten-full cookies for my husband! This recipe is so decadent. In his words, "It's like a brownie cookie". And infused with Madcap Third Coast Espresso, they truly are a treat. 


I found the recipe here at Hungry Rabbit, and adapted it only a little. Instead of coffee and espresso powder, I pulled one double shot of espresso and added that. This ends up being more than 1 tbsp of liquid, but I just omitted the Kahlua. These cookies are decadent enough as it is! I also reduced the sugar by 1/2 a cup (I always seem to do this with desserts...I know, it's strange, but I like things less sweet!) And for the chopped chocolate, I used dark chocolate chips, but topped each with a chopped Godiva chocolate truffle! Are you drooling yet?


My husband and I recently ordered Madcap Third Coast Espresso blend, and it's so tasty, I had to include it in the cookies. Currently, it's a blend of San Sebastian Columbia, Ariel Honduras and Borana, Ethiopia. It's described as creamy and citrusy most prominently, but the chocolate notes really come through in this cookie, obviously...cause there's a lot of chocolate in the recipe. But if you're in the market to try a new espresso, I'd highly recommend this one. 


If you're looking for a treat to get you through the week, this might be it! 


Are there other amateur foodies trying out new recipes this week? Let me know what you've tried! 

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...