An Ode To Toast | The Common Creative: An Ode To Toast

Monday, March 17, 2014

An Ode To Toast

I'm sorry, Kristen, but today I'm posting something that you can only look at but not enjoy! Terribly sorry. But I'm so glad that I can enjoy the great benefits of gluten-full bread because toast is my one weakness. I take after my father- he's always been a sucker for bakeries and eating bread. And a few years ago, I began to take great delight in eating two pieces of toast in the morning with a cup of coffee. Sure, it may not be the healthiest thing out there, but it is so satisfying for me! 
Recently, I began to bake bread as a means of saving money. Bread isn't all that expensive to buy, but making bread costs mere quarters. And it tastes so much better than store bought loaves, especially straight from the oven. I found a recipe that's quick and easy and tastes like heaven.  
Sure, I may not make the perfect loaf (darn air bubbles!) but my breakfast this morning was the perfect start to the day. Hot toast buttered with homemade strawberry jam. What could be better? Oh, I know. Adding a pottery mug full of steaming fresh coffee. So simple. So perfect. Every single time.
Two Loaf Whole Wheat Bread
Adapted slightly from Mennonite Girls Can Cook

2 cups plus 2 tablespoons water, very hot
2 tablespoons liquid honey
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons margarine
3 teaspoons salt
3 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups white flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 teaspoons yeast

1. Heat water. Add butter and stir until dissolved.
2. Add other wet ingredients as well as salt and sugar
3. Place all flour in a large bowl. Add yeast and stir.
4. Pour heated liquid over flour and knead (I usually knead in KitchenAid for 7 minutes)
5. Cover with plastic wrap or towel and allow to rise to double in a warm area.
6. Punch down, form two loaves and put in a greased pan (if you are unsure of how to form a loaf, this video is helpful!). Allow to rise double in a warm place, once more.
6. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 min. Let cool slightly and enjoy at least one slice while warm :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...